Friday, April 24, 2015

Artistic Endeavors

There was one adoption question that Rob and I faced head on, "Can we afford it?" Basic costs, such as raising a child - no problem - there is always a little wiggle room in the budget. The adoption cost is a much harder question to answer. The cost of adoption is high, borderline insanely so. It is also much more costly to adopt than it is to walk home from the hospital with your own. Most families don't have $20,000 to $40,000 tucked away somewhere to pay for the adoptions. That number is just domestic adoptions!

The first step it the home study, which we are preparing for. Thinning out our possessions, things we haven't used for years or simply don't have the space for, and selling them in a garage sale. The home study itself costs $1,500. Rob is currently working overtime to help us save for this goal. We felt that it was best to save that initial cost ourselves.

After the home study, we wait until we are picked by the expectant parent(s). When that happens, we are billed for the following:

  • Placement: $15,000
  • Seven supervised visits: $2,100
  • Various court fees: $2,490
  • Birth mother fees: up to $14,000
The total for the entire adoption with the maximum payment of the birth mother's expenses: $33,590. This is considered a major expense, and by ourselves, it will take two to four years to save up this amount. The expense grows more with things like, flyers, and booklets and thank you letters. Those costs, we are absorbing as we are able to. 
I'm a home maker, and part time in-home groomer, money that I earn is a bit harder to come by. I budget, and clip coupons, cook and clean. While Rob is working, so am I. Right now my main job is to help fix up the house, and thin out our 'stuff' and sell things I create. 

As much as Rob and I are trying, we will get nowhere without the support of others. That's right, we need you.

So far both of us are absolutely floored at the responses from friends and family. I'm happy to call you all my family, each and every one of you supporting us. Flamingoes are flocking and sugar scrubs are selling. 

I'm excited for the painting auction that starts 4/26... That's just two days away! I have a goal of $5,000 but an expectation of $500. Check out the online auction, see if there's something you like. Everything goes to the adoption costs. 

I love you all, thank you so much for the support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment